As you can tell from what Dad wrote, when the anchor was set in Los Frailes’s sandy bottom, we were pretty darn tired. The next day was largely uneventful aside from Toby and I jumping in the water and swimming around for a few hours. The water was a splendid not too warm temperature (in the seventies, we think) that was also beautifully clear. Toby even swam to the bottom, thirty some odd feet, and saw some balloonfish which are close relatives of pufferfish. The next day proceeded in a similar unhurried manner with the only thing on our to do list being deciding on a good time to leave. We decided on the following morning (Friday) at about five o’clock – we wanted to get an early start because we knew that there wouldn’t be wind to sail and if we started soon enough we could avoid the some of the swells that could come up later.
I already knew that I was not a morning person, and because there had been nothing to wake up for in a while, I was feeling horribly sleep deprived with my scanty eight hours. Boy, eight feels not even worth mentioning compared with the good solid twelve that I’ve let myself get used to. Regardless of my bleary eyes, all went well, and we hauled anchor without a problem and motored steadily until the afternoon when we raised our jib and sailed the rest of the way to Bahia de los Muertos (yes, that does mean bay of the dead). There were about half a dozen other boats in the anchorage and we pulled up next to them and anchored at about 3:30 in the afternoon. We had a little difficulty in anchoring, just because of the other boats and a stubborn wind in an unfavorable direction.
Bahia de los Muertos is a reliable anchorage in north winds, we had strong south winds for the majority of our first afternoon/evening there, shifting to westerly and stronger later that night. Considering that fact, Dad stayed up all night, just in case anything went wrong (when the wind shifts enough, the anchor can pull out and possibly drag if it doesn’t reset). The next day we guessed that the winds had been gusting possibly up to 30 knots that night. We figured that if our anchor had held in that much wind last night, we could all sleep sound that next night, including a very tired Dad. In the morning we decided on leaving at 6 the next day (Sunday) for La Paz, showers, bathrooms, laundry, ac power, unrestricted fresh water, and other comforts of a marina.
We knew ahead of time that sailing was unlikely (winds too light), but I was still looking forward to a sunny day on the blue green water. The passage was pleasantly uneventful, the engine ran without a hitch, and everything went well. We saw lots of boats as we got closer to the large port of La Paz, and it reminded us of San Francisco Bay in that all of the boats were more nervous and irritable in the closer quarters. Coming into the bay you could see lots of resorts, people on the beaches, and even five huge water-slides coming down off of a cliff into the clear Mexican water. All around, steep red brown mountains covered in cactus and dead grasses rose around the sandy beaches. We got to the marina of our choice, there are plenty in la Paz, and have settled in for a few days.